(916) 440-1010

Specializing in Criminal Defense
State and Federal 24/7

Marijuana and Cannabis Charges

In November 2016 California Voters approved Adult use of Marijuana Act (Proposition 64) to legalize the use of cannabis. The Cannabis Industry is regulated by the Adult Use of Marijuana Act.

Cannabis remains classified as a Schedule I drug under the Federal Controlled Substances Act, and it’s purchase, possession, distribution, or use within California may be unlawful under Federal Law. While it has become legal in California for recreational use, you must still follow rules and regulations. Contact Chris Cosca, Attorney at Law if you have questions about cannabis, what is (or is not) legal under State or Federal law.

Most commonly asked questions regarding Cannabis use answered:

  • Under California law, adults 21 or older can use, carry, and grow cannabis (marijuana, weed, pot).
  • Buying cannabis (without a current physician’s recommendation or a county-issued medical marijuana identification card) became legal for adults 21 or older January 1, 2018.
  • It is illegal to give or sell retail cannabis to minors.
  • It is illegal to drive under the influence of cannabis.
  • It is illegal to consume, smoke, eat or vape cannabis in public. It is illegal to open a package containing cannabis or any cannabis products in public. This includes but is not limited to parks and sidewalks, business and residential areas.
  • It is also illegal to consume cannabis in other locations where smoking is illegal, including bars, restaurants, buildings open to the public, places of employment and areas within 15 feet of doors and ventilation openings.
  • Even though it is legal under California law, you cannot consume or possess cannabis on federal lands such as national parks, even if the park is in California.
  • You can consume cannabis on private property, but property owners and landlords may ban the use and possession of cannabis on their properties.
  • It is illegal to take your cannabis across state lines, even if you are traveling to another state where cannabis is legal.
  • Only state licensed establishments may sell retail cannabis products.

Call (916) 440-1010 to schedule a complimentary case evaluation.